+ Lateral squats supersetted with T-bar rows x 2

Adam
Squat Rack Curler
useravatar
10186 Posts
5781 Loyalty Points
Webmaster
Male  Birthday 
Administrator has disabled public posting. Please login or register in order to proceed.

Re: Adam's 2012 Training Journal

Yesterday's workout - had to skip on Monday as I fell asleep and was absolutely exhausted. Woke up too late and the gym was closed! Still got to see the United vs City game though :(

*Squats

270lbs x 5, 310lbs x 3, 345lbs x 2 (first cycle of squats completed on 5/3/1)

*Incline d/b presses

80lbers x 10, 10, 12 (really happy with this)

*Weighted chins

65lbs x 6, 6, 6 (drop-set to bodyweight x 15 for last set)

*Sled calf press

3 plates + 25lbs each side x 10, 10, 8 - with crazy drop-set at the end.

Adam
Squat Rack Curler
useravatar
10186 Posts
5781 Loyalty Points
Webmaster
Male  Birthday 
Administrator has disabled public posting. Please login or register in order to proceed.

Solid workout and love the simplicity of it as well - much like what im looking to follow. I've got all the DB's in my gym in pounds as well - some people really get confused as we got a slight mixture of kg ones as well lol

80lbsers for inlcine is good going - what sort of degree angle do you go for on the incline and find to be the best?

Shut up and squat

The one thing that turns dreams into reality is effort

matt87
useravatar
2468 Posts
6058 Loyalty Points
Legend
Male 

There's just no feeling like finishing off on some relentless d/b rows... Good workout today to finish the bench cycle of 5/3/1. It's feeling uncomfortably difficult though so I need to really push this movement. It's feeling 'slow' even at lower poundages. May utilise some speed work after my main working sets.

*Bench

200lbs x 5, 225lbs x 3, 250lbs x 2, 185lbs x 4, 5, 5

*Good mornings

185lbs x 6, 6, 6

*D/B rows

110lbs x 10, 10, 10 each arm

Adam
Squat Rack Curler
useravatar
10186 Posts
5781 Loyalty Points
Webmaster
Male  Birthday 

bench is one of them things with me,up and down,good workout tho mate,maybe swap to incline??

pain is how we know were alive

viking
viking
useravatar
879 Posts
1791 Loyalty Points
Advanced Member
Male 

@Matt: I'm not too sure mate, but it's around 45degree's + as that's the furthest they go down at this gym. I usually go lower than that as well, so this is quite high for me.

@Viking: Yeah, I go through stages of enjoying it and then hating it! At the moment it isn't going too well lol... Might swap to incline actually but I'm going to give it one more cycle and try a couple of small tweaks to see if I can push past this plateau. Some speed work coming up and also deep tissue massage around my shoulders and chest / triceps to see if it's a stiffness issue (it feels like the movement lacks kinetic energy at the moment).

Saturday's workout;

T-bar rows: 125lbs x 5, 140lbs x 3, 155lbs x 6 (quite a big PR so some good progress here)

*Standing neutral grip d/b presses (happy with these again too)

70lbers x 6, 6, 6

+ 3 sets of lateral squats supersetted with high rep bb rows

...Deload time now, so will still log workouts but they'll be a bit irrelevant lol.

Adam
Squat Rack Curler
useravatar
10186 Posts
5781 Loyalty Points
Webmaster
Male  Birthday 

Boring crap from today;

Squats supersetted with bodyweight chins;

100kg x 5, 5, 5 ~ bodyweight x 10, 10, 10, 10

+ 3 sets of incline bb presses with 135lbs x 15, 12, 12

then 4 sets to fry the calves (trained this hard however). sled calf presses - 3 plates + 35lbs each side x 12, 10, 9, to drop-set and static stretch

Adam
Squat Rack Curler
useravatar
10186 Posts
5781 Loyalty Points
Webmaster
Male  Birthday 

Adam wrote:

*Standing neutral grip d/b presses (happy with these again too)

70lbers x 6, 6, 6

Nice one Adam, been doing these myself past few weeks, enjoy them too, feel kinder on the shoulders than barbell military press, but can't go as heavy (yet!)

Alpha Male
useravatar
2800 Posts
1415 Loyalty Points
Legend
Male 

Nice one mate. I also find that they're quite kind to the thoracic spine as well for some reason; standing barbell military aggravates my upper back slightly when performing the lift.

Adam
Squat Rack Curler
useravatar
10186 Posts
5781 Loyalty Points
Webmaster
Male  Birthday 

Fresh cycle. Heavier weights. Time to rock and roll again!

*Squats

240lbs x 5, 280lbs x 5, 315lbs x 7, 230lbs x 5, 5

*Weighted chins

+55lbs x 9, 9, 9

*Incline d/b presses

75lbers x 15, 15, 15

Adam
Squat Rack Curler
useravatar
10186 Posts
5781 Loyalty Points
Webmaster
Male  Birthday 

Nice session Adam - great weight on the shoulders for reps!

Check out the new store: http://www.bodyactive-nation.co.uk/Store

BMAN
Steve
useravatar
7552 Posts
589 Loyalty Points
Webmaster
Male  Birthday 

Today's stuff. Been a hectic week so far. Will explain more later! About to enter another chapter of my life as well :-)

Kept the numbers the same on bench as my last cycle, as I didn't really find it comfortable at all and the plan is to be consistent with this and push the numbers up steadily. Bench, I've been struggling with a lot going forward, so it's about going back to basics for me and really pushing the numbers hard on my assistance exercises, but also integrating some speed work on my assistance after benching as I've mentioned before it's felt a little bit 'stiff' recently. I'm hoping some Thai massage around my delts, upper back, chest and triceps will also help rectify this problem.

*Flat bench

170lbs x 5, 200 x 5, 225 x 7

*Good mornings

185lbs x 8, 8, 8

*Speed bench

135lbs x 3, 3, 3

*D/B rows rest paused

100lbs x 18, 9 each arm (switched both arms without rest, so 4 sets overall)

+ 4 sets of seated calf sled press supersetted with face pulls for postural health (weight on calves was 3 plates + 20lbs x 12, 10, 8, 7 for the sets with a static hold at the end for 30secs)

Adam
Squat Rack Curler
useravatar
10186 Posts
5781 Loyalty Points
Webmaster
Male  Birthday 

adam ive been doing occasionaly bb bench from pins,3/4 inches off of chest,get real good position and push,i do rest pause sets on the heavy reps,3 reps,and its helped my explosiveness lots.

viking
viking
useravatar
879 Posts
1791 Loyalty Points
Advanced Member
Male 

Sounds like a very good, basic idea Viking. Unfortunately facilities at this present moment in time stop me doing that technique. Advice taken on board though and will look for something similar I can use to my advantage.

Today's workout - absolutely exhausted this week, so haven't hit any lofty heights this evening. Got the basics done and got out really. I did try some neutral grip chins at the end though just for fun on my way out ;)

*T-bar rows

110lbs x 5, 125lbs x 5, 145lbs x 7

*Neutral grip standing press

65lbers x 9, 8, 8

+ 2 sets of lateral squats with 20kg x 14 supersetted with t-bar rows again (95lbs x 5, 5)

Adam
Squat Rack Curler
useravatar
10186 Posts
5781 Loyalty Points
Webmaster
Male  Birthday 

Keep it up bro! Nice sessions!

Also like that idea Viking - just getting the equip like Adam says. Might try it at my other gym as I can do it there.

Check out the new store: http://www.bodyactive-nation.co.uk/Store

BMAN
Steve
useravatar
7552 Posts
589 Loyalty Points
Webmaster
Male  Birthday 

ill tell ya what i do,i use a squat rack(not a power rack),put a aerobic step down to the right height and set the bar on the flat catch rails,should be just 3/4 inches off the chest.good workout tho mate,keep on it,we all have tired weeks,youll bounce back with a strong week.

viking
viking
useravatar
879 Posts
1791 Loyalty Points
Advanced Member
Male 

Viking, if you'd seen my gym mate and how packed it can be, you'd realise how inconceivable it would be to even attempt to make that :(

Back home, I love trying things like that and always made elaborate assistance exercises. Not in a horrendously overpopulated gym full of Asian's though, sandwiched between them doing bicep curls in the squat rack.

Adam
Squat Rack Curler
useravatar
10186 Posts
5781 Loyalty Points
Webmaster
Male  Birthday 

Oh, the gym. Almost forgot.

Squats felt really heavy today. Very sleep deprived. May switch it to Wednesday or Friday when I squat heavy next time around, as it's difficult doing it every Monday night when I'm always at my busiest.

*Squats

260lbs x 3, 300lbs x 3, 335lbs x 3, 230lbs x 5, 5, 5

*Weighted chins

+60lbs x 8, 8, 8

*Incline d/b presses

80lbers x 12, 12, 12

+ 3 sets of calves on sled calf press with 3 45's and 25 each side supersetted with 2 sets of rows (just injury prevention stuff on the cables)

Very gruelling workout. Was pleased to get through this and hit all my targets.

Adam
Squat Rack Curler
useravatar
10186 Posts
5781 Loyalty Points
Webmaster
Male  Birthday 

Wednesday's workout;

*Flat bench press

185lbs x 3, 210lbs x 3, 235lbs x 5 --- Then speed bench press, 140lbs x 3, 3, 3

*Good mornings

190lbs x 7, 200lbs x 7, 7

*D/b rows rest paused (no rest between each arm until failure)

110lbs x 14, 6 each arm

+ 2 sets of chins x 10

Adam
Squat Rack Curler
useravatar
10186 Posts
5781 Loyalty Points
Webmaster
Male  Birthday 

Went to the physio today and got my back destroyed. Made a post about it in the injury recovery section, but this is how it will affect my training from now on;

-No more overhead pressing (this will be replaced by close grip bench press)
-Only 3 weighted sets of chin-ups per week (to do with accumulated scar tissue around my back)

Today's session;

*T-bar row

120lbs x 3, 135lbs x 3, 150lbs x 7 (big PB)

*Close grip bench press

185lbs x 7, 7, 7

*Seated calf raises supersetted with lateral squats

2 plates + 35lbs x 12, 10, 9 / to 45lb lateral squat x 16, 16

+ 3 sets more of T-bars with 97.5lbs x 5, 5, 5

Adam
Squat Rack Curler
useravatar
10186 Posts
5781 Loyalty Points
Webmaster
Male  Birthday 
There are 0 guests and 0 other users also viewing this topic

Board Info

Board Stats

Total Topics:
Total Polls:
Total Posts:
Posts today:
User Info

Total Users:
Newest User:
ceagceog2
Members Online: